National Creditors Bar Association seeks to highlight the fantastic work our members and fellow industry representatives have done this year. These awards cover community service participation by our law firm members, outstanding State Creditors Bar Associations (SCBA), and impressive entities or people that represent and stand for the creditors rights industry. If you would like to nominate a SCBA, firm, person or entity that falls into one of those categories, read more below on award specifics and how to nominate. Please note, self-nominations are encouraged!
Outstanding SCBA Award
The National Creditors Bar Association (NCBA) Outstanding SCBA Award is intended to recognize the SCBA which has best demonstrated a high level of activity within the legal community as well as within NCBA, and to recognize the challenges faced and surmounted.
The nomination will include an essay of no more than 300 words. Other relevant information may be sent to Jim Podewitz, NCBA Director of Communications, at [email protected], if needed. The SCBA representative is encouraged to attend the NCBA 2020 Fall Conference in Phoenix, Arizona. Questions? Please call the National Office at 202-861-0706.
Previous SCBA Award Recipients:
- 2014—The Commercial Lawyers Conference of New York; The Virginia Creditor Bar Association
- 2015—North Carolina Creditors Bar Association
- 2016—Connecticut Creditors Bar Association
- 2017—Maryland-DC Creditors Bar Association
- 2018—Texas Creditors Bar Association
- 2019—New York State Creditors Bar Association
- 2020—Michigan Creditors Bar Association
NCBA Community Service Award
The National Creditors Bar Association Community Service Award is intended to recognize the member firm that has best demonstrated an overall firm commitment to and implementation of activities for the betterment of its community. The recipient will be a firm that has given, as a firm or through a large percentage of individual employees, substantial time to its community (which can include pro bono representation). The Award will recognize firm-wide effort, not that of one individual within a firm. Nominees will be evaluated based on the level of commitment shown, not on the number of hours or dollars provided, so that small firms are as likely to receive the award as large firms (as shown by the variety of previous recipients).
The nomination should include an approximately 500 word description of the firm’s activities, the community impact, and any publicity (as in local newspapers or bar publications) resulting from the firm’s service. The recipient will receive an award and will be honored at the NCBA 2020 Fall Conference in Phoenix, Arizona. If you are proud of your firm’s community contributions, please submit your firm for nomination. Self-nominations are expected. Questions? Please call the National Office at 202-861-0706.
Previous Community Service Award Recipients:
- 2005—Buckles & Buckles in Michigan
- 2006—McIntosh Law Firm in North Carolina
- 2007—Weltman, Weinberg and Reis Company in Ohio
- 2008—South & Associates in Kansas
- 2009—Morgan Bornstein & Morgan in New Jersey
- 2010—Trott & Trott in Michigan
- 2011—Litow & Pech in Iowa
- 2012—Hosto|Buchan in Arkansas
- 2013—Glasser and Glasser, P.L.C. in Virginia
- 2014—Couch Conville & Blitt in Louisiana; and Harris & Harris in Illinois
- 2015—Kohn Law Firm S.C. in Wisconsin
- 2016—Messerli & Kramer, P.A. in Minnesota; and Fenton & McGarvey Law Firm, P.S.C. in Kentucky
- 2017—Tobin & Marohn in Connecticut
- 2018—Bass & Associates, P.C. in Arizona
- 2019—Gurstel Law Firm, P.C., in Minnesota; and Keith D. Weiner & Associates, Co. LPA in Ohio
- 2020—The “Acts of Kindness” Member Firms
Blitt and Gaines, P.C.
Couch, Conville & Blitt, LLC
The Law Offices of Daniel C. Consuegra, P.L.
Friedman & Associates, LLC
Glasser and Glasser, P.L.C.
Gordon, Aylworth & Tami, P.C.
Gurstel Law Firm P.C.
The Law Office of Howard B. Weber
The Law Office of Jason Gang, PLLC
The McHughes Law Firm PLLC
Messer Strickler, Ltd.
Newby, Sartip & Masel, LLC
North Central Legal Solutions, PC
O'Reilly Rancilio P.C.
Persolve Legal Group, LLP
Randolph, Boyd, Cherry and Vaughan
The Law Offices of Ronald S. Canter, LLC
Slovin & Associates
Tobin & Marohn
Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., LPA
Zimmerman & Zimmerman, P.A.
Donald Kramer Award
National Creditors Bar Association's annual Donald Kramer Award is presented to “someone whose efforts have made a substantial and lasting impact for the benefit of the credit and legal collection community.”
The nomination should include a brief description of the work that has been done by the nominee. The recipient will receive an award and be honored at the NCBA 2020 Fall Conference in Phoenix, Arizona. Questions? Please call the National Office at 202-861-0706.
Previous Donald Kramer Award Recipients:
- 2004—Dennis Hammond, DBA International
- 2005—Manny Newburger, Collection Industry Consultant
- 2006—Jim Balogh, Creator of Banko
- 2007—Jeffrey Bailles, National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- 2008—Sam Gerdano, American Bankruptcy Institute
- 2009—Michael Ginsberg, Kaulkin Ginsberg
- 2010—Steven Goldman, CLS, Inc.
- 2011—Richard Kamermann, Ford Motor Credit Corp.
- 2012—The House Financial Literacy & Economic Education Caucus
- 2013—no recipient
- 2014—The Honorable Annette M. Rizzo
- 2015—Stephanie Eidelman with insideARM
- 2016—The Conference of Chief Justices’ Committee on Civil Justice Improvements
- 2017—The American Bar Association
- 2018—Representatives Alex Mooney (R-WV) and Vicente Gonzalez (D-TX)
- 2019—Joann Needleman, Clark Hill PLC, and past-President of NCBA
- 2020—Brit Suttell, Barron & Newburger, P.C.
Member of the Year Award
The National Creditors Bar Association (NCBA) Member of the Year Award is intended to be presented to a member who has demonstrated extraordinary commitment to the NCBA vision.
The nomination will include an essay of no more than 300 words. Other relevant information may be sent to Jim Podewitz, Director of Communications, at [email protected], if needed. The recipient will be encouraged to attend the NCBA 2020 Fall Conference in Phoenix, Arizona. Questions? Please call the National Office at 202-861-0706.
Previous Member of the Year Award Recipients:
- 2018—Manuel H. Newburger, Barron & Newburger, P.C.
- 2019—Tomio Narita, Simmonds & Narita LLP
- 2020—Harvey Moore, The Moore Law Group
This award goes to someone who demonstrates leadership within the NCBA community.
Previous President's Award Recipients:
- 2007—Harvey Sharinn, Sharinn & Lipshie, PC
- 2008—Wayne Babovich, Babovich & Spedale
- 2009—Thomas Canary, Mapother & Mapother, PSC
- 2010—Adam J. Olshan, Law Offices of Howard Lee Schiff, PC
- 2011—Michael H.R. Buckles, Buckles & Buckles, PLC
- 2012—June Coleman, Kronick Moskovitz Tiedeman & Girard; and Tomio Narita, Simmonds & Narita LLP
- 2013—Eric Berman, Eric M. Berman, P.C. (awarded posthumously)
- 2014—Brenda Majewski, Kohn Law Firm, S.C.
- 2015—Yale Levy, Levy & Associates, LLC; Steve Markoff, Markoff Law; and Brent Yarborough, Zarzaur & Schwartz, P.C.
- 2016—Nathan Willner, Lyons, Doughty & Veldhuis, P.C.
- 2017—Alane Becket, Becket & Lee LLP; and Mark Groves, Glasser & Glasser, P.L.C.
- 2018—Weltman, Weinberg & Reis, Co., LPA
- 2019—Robin Cole, National Creditors Bar Association
- 2020—Bill Hicks, Messerli & Kramer
- 2021—Advocacy Support Fund Supporters
Nominations for the 2020 Awards are now closed; the deadline to submit was August 1, 2020. If you have questions, please e-mail Jim Podewitz at [email protected] or contact the NCBA National Office at 202-861-0706 and ask for Nicola. The NCBA Awards Committee will select the winner of each award at the beginning of September 2020.